South of S.F. – Beer by CalTrain
We started by listing good craft beer destinations via BART, the Bay Area Rapid Transit system. Of course, if you go to the southernmost BART station on the west side of the bay, Millbrae station, you can transfer to CalTrain, and the San Francisco Peninsula opens up to you. You can start from San Jose or Silicon Valley just as easily, and make your way up to BART.
CalTrain runs less frequently than BART, but you can actually eat and drink on their trains if you like, unlike on BART. Get out and try some real local west coast ales and craft brews within walking distance of public transit.
Here’s our sampling of good beer destinations near CalTrain — an easy transfer from Millbrae BART. We’re actively building it out as we try venues that care about great craft beer.
(One shoe is up to a Quarter Mile walking, one way from a CalTrain station.) From North to South:
- Burlingame CalTrain Station
- Steelhead Brewing (Brewpub)
- San Mateo CalTrain Station
- Grape and Grain (Beer and Wine Tasting Shop)
- San Carlos CalTrain Station
- The Refuge (Restaurant)
- Ale Arsenal (Beer Bar)
- Redwood City CalTrain Station
- Gourmet Haus Staudt (Beer Bar and Germany Food Shop)
- Harry’s Hofbrau (Restaurant and beer bar)
- Palo Alto CalTrain CalTrain Station
- Rose and Crown (Beer Bar)
- Sunnyvale CalTrain Station
- Firehouse Brewery (Brewpub)
- San Jose CalTrain Station
- Original Gravity (Beer bar with snacks)
More details to come. Suggestions more than welcome. Our list is limited to beer destinations we like. For a more extensive list of interesting bars, including many with decent craft beer lists, see Wet Your Whistles.